I have a confession to make, y’all. As you know, I’m deeply ADD, and this occasionally manifests itself in apparent laziness and/or carelessness. (I get easily overwhelmed by excess stimuli.) Anyway, the way that this connects to laundry is that I’ve never really been all that careful about what goes in the washer with what. I didn’t think it actually mattered that much.
OMG, I was WRONG!
AWM Pro Tip: Never EVER Wash Hoodies and Towels Together!!!!!!
Why not? Let me tell you from personal experience: you will NEVER get all that towel lint off your poor hoodie, and you will live to regret it.
So, if you’re out there adulting without a manual like we are, take away a lesson from my laundry shenanigans. It really is worth it to separate your loads up front. I’m learning and working out my own sort of system that kind of makes sense (at least to me). I do separate, specific loads of laundry now.
- Whites BY THEMSELVES – Use detergent, bleach, and/or Oxy Clean.
- Lights – Use COLOR SAFE bleach and detergent.
- Darks – Wash same as lights, but in their own separate load.
- Jeans – Same as darks, but in their own separate load.
- Towels – ALWAYS wash towels ONLY with other towels and wash cloths, but treat them the same way you would jeans.
It seems kind of like you’re multiplying your work on the front end, but I promise it’ll save your clothes once you work out a system and stick to it.