As you can see, I've been doing a perfectly crappy job of keeping up with our blog lately, but I wanted to let you know that we're still here and still going on little adventures all the time. We recently returned from a short cruise to Cozumel with my parents. As usual, we had an absolute blast, but I'll save that for a separate post. Our biggest adventure of all is parenting our gorgeous baby boy!
Seriously, he's beautiful, and you can check out my virtual scrapbook for River if you don't believe me. Anyway, I'll be catching y'all up on the latest adventures soon!
As I shared in my “Can’t Wait for This Afternoon” post on my individual blog this morning, Lake and I are going to have my membranes stripped this afternoon at my OB/GYN appointment. If it works, we should have a baby by week’s end. It only works 40% of the time, but here’s hoping!
Again, we as the parents would like to remind our friends and family that we’d like to be the first ones to share the news and pictures of River. Once we’ve opened those floodgates, however, please feel free to share whatever you like (as long as I don’t look completely awful in any pictures–pre-approve those before you post me looking like a ragged mess. LOL.)
We’re really hoping our little guy is coming soon, and we can’t wait to share all our wonderful, joyous news with you!
First of all, I want to thank my wonderful cousin Shelby Lynn Clemmons for taking these baby bump pictures for us. Lake and I really appreciate it! I know I’ve shared this entire album on Facebook already, but it’s important to me to include it on my blogs, too. I’m sorry if you’re tired of seeing them. My whole world revolves around this little boy already, and I haven’t even had him yet.
I can’t tell you the depth of my joy right now, as Lake and I wait and anticipate meeting our little boy. I hope these pictures capture it well because I know my feeble words cannot.
All I want, more than anything in the world, is to hold my little boy and kiss his beautiful face.
Mommy and Daddy can’t wait to meet you, David River Moye.
What will my baby boy look like?
What kind of personality will he have?
All I know is that he’s perfect, and I haven’t even met him yet.
I’ve carried him for nine months now.
I don’t know how much longer I can wait to hold him in my arms.
I guess caressing my belly and talking to him will just have to do until he decides to make his way into this world.
I love feeling him move.
He’s already so strong.
Still, I just can’t wait to see his little face for the first time.
I’m anxiously anticipating meeting this baby boy of mine for the first time.
So, as you can see, I haven’t really gotten around to doing individual posts for each of the topics in my “Upcoming Topics” list from a while back. So, I’m just going to do a fast summary post with the list to catch things up.
- Alan Jackson Concert – It’s not often that you find an artist who sounds JUST AS GOOD live as he/she does on the radio. That’s a pretty rare thing, but let me just tell you that Alan Jackson absolutely does! That man is an ICON of country music, and he still puts on one hell of an amazing concert!
- Tommy James and the Shondells Concert – This was more of a fun ride-along for us than a purposeful concert trip, but I had a great time. It was wonderful to get to see my Mom fangirling over one of her favorite bands from when she was growing up, and the music was familiar and fun. Tommy James and the Shondells still put on a great, high-energy show, and they’re absolutely worth seeing if you’re into the bubblegum music era.
- Shanghai Rummy – This is possibly the most addictive (and cutthroat) card game I’ve ever learned to play. We have a fantastic time every time we play, no matter who we’re playing with.
- Our Babymoon in Manassas, VA/Washington, D.C. & Checking Trenton, NJ Off My Bucket List – As these last few weeks of pregnancy are hitting me (37 Weeks Today!!!), I’m more and more glad that we took this trip when we did. It was such a fantastic adventure, and we made some great memories in the process. I probably will do a more in-depth separate post about our babymoon because it was just so much fun, and it deserves a post to itself. For now, suffice it to say that deciding to go on that babymoon was one of the best choices we’ve made this pregnancy.
- Transition Phase? – This will also probably get a post to itself some time in the near future.
- Adventures In Getting Our House “Baby-Ready” – I actually already did a couple of posts about this one. Go me! ^_^ You can read them HERE and HERE.
- Baby Shower Plans – All I can say on this front is thank GOD for my cousins Shelby and Jennifer. They made sure that I got the shower I wanted, and things went off without a hitch thanks to them. The shower was beautiful, and I’m in the process of adding pictures from it to River’s Virtual Scrapbook.
- Racecar-related Shenanigans: I’ll probably catch this up in a separate post soon!
- Fishing: There will be separate posts about our recent fishing trips, but suffice it to say that we’re not fishing as much as usual with the impending due date getting closer every day!
- Basically Everything We Do Together That I Feel Y’all Might Find Interesting: This is self-explanatory, and I hope to share more with y’all in the near future!
I just want to take a minute to say how proud I am of how far Lake and I have come in getting River’s room ready over the past couple of weeks. River’s room has been cleaned out (a freaking MAMMOTH task in and of itself), painted, the carpet has been shampooed, we’ve built closets, and it seems like there’s still a TON left to do. Still, knowing where the state of that room was a little less than a month ago makes me VERY proud of how far we’ve come.
We’re so close to being done, now! All that’s left to do is move furniture back in there, do some decorating, and find places for all the wonderful gifts we got at his baby shower! (I’m still working on thank-you notes, btw.) I think I may actually have worn myself out on the whole nesting thing because that urge is pretty much gone now. The only real urge I have is to FINISH this project so I can shift my focus to getting ready for labor, delivery, and bringing my little boy home. (^_^)
I’m getting more excited to meet him every day!
So, as you’ve probably seen in my Facebook feed, I decided to use WordPress to do a virtual scrapbook for River. You can check it out HERE.
Why a virtual scrapbook? Well, I’m a writer at heart, and I feel like doing a “Virtual Scrapbook” really allows me to combine the pictures that make scrapbooks so great with the idea of a “baby journal.” The really great thing? I can continue to use it long after his first year is up because I’m not limited by page number or shelf space.
It’ll be a great virtual keepsake that he can look back on in this technological age. The possibilities are basically endless, and I really like that. So, if you want to check in on our little guy’s big milestones, feel free to head on over to his virtual scrapbook/journal from Mom’s perspective!
As y’all know, my laundry skills are negligible, at best. So, today, I was trying to figure out how to dry Lake’s jeans without shrinking them, and all I can say is thank GOD for Google and The Modern Girl’s Guide to Life. (That book is a legitimate lifesaver, and I highly recommend checking it out!)
Both resources gave similar advice in this regard.
AWM Pro Tip of the Day: Do jeans 10 minutes of the low heat cycle in your dryer, then air dry to prevent shrinkage.
That’s just my little helpful tip of the day for you, but I’ll hopefully have a longer, more meaningful post up soon!
As you probably know from my last post, I’ve been getting the urge to blog while away from my topic lists A LOT lately. Well, I’ve fixed that problem, guys! How? I made my lists portable, and I keep them in my purse now. So, if you’re wondering what’s up next in my post plans, I can tell you!
Upcoming Post Topics:
- Alan Jackson Concert
- Tommy James and the Shondells Concert
- Shanghai Rummy
- Our Babymoon in Manassas, VA/Washington, D.C.
- Transition Phase?
- Adventures In Getting Our House “Baby-Ready”
- Baby Shower Plans
- Racecar-related Shenanigans
- Basically Everything We Do Together That I Feel Y’all Might Find Interesting
Yes, half of these bullet points will probably turn out to be actual post titles because I’m creatively drained, at this point.
You may have noticed that I haven’t made many posts on my author blog recently, and there’s a reason for that. I’m not a good marketer/promoter, I’ve been watching my sales dwindle since Frost’s release, and all I want to do every time I look at that blog lately is whine. Whining isn’t productive, so I’m just not going to go there until I’ve got something positive to share.
Anyway, that’s my little victory for today!
As a part of getting our house baby-ready, I’m in the process of eliminating clutter and minimizing. I know it doesn’t sound like a huge deal, but that’s only true if you don’t know me. I’m a borderline hoarder because I attach way too much emotional importance to inanimate objects. As a result, I’ve held onto a lot of things that aren’t really doing anything in my life besides unnecessarily taking up space.
One way I’m ensuring that I eliminate clutter is through a group I joined on Facebook for the month of February (The Minimalist Game) curated by my friend Courtney. You get rid of a number of items equal to the number of the day of the month, for the entirety of the month. So, you get rid of one thing on the first, two things on the second, etc. Today, I chose to eliminate a piece of clothing that I’m never going to fit into. The two items I choose to get rid of tomorrow will probably follow along those same lines, but we’ll see. At this rate, I’m hoping to have our spare room cleaned out enough that I can keep River’s changing table, dresser, etc. (except his bed because he’ll be sleeping in our room) in there.
More to come with the adventures in minimizing and eliminating clutter a little later on!
I have a confession to make, y’all. As you know, I’m deeply ADD, and this occasionally manifests itself in apparent laziness and/or carelessness. (I get easily overwhelmed by excess stimuli.) Anyway, the way that this connects to laundry is that I’ve never really been all that careful about what goes in the washer with what. I didn’t think it actually mattered that much.
OMG, I was WRONG!
AWM Pro Tip: Never EVER Wash Hoodies and Towels Together!!!!!!
Why not? Let me tell you from personal experience: you will NEVER get all that towel lint off your poor hoodie, and you will live to regret it.
So, if you’re out there adulting without a manual like we are, take away a lesson from my laundry shenanigans. It really is worth it to separate your loads up front. I’m learning and working out my own sort of system that kind of makes sense (at least to me). I do separate, specific loads of laundry now.
- Whites BY THEMSELVES – Use detergent, bleach, and/or Oxy Clean.
- Lights – Use COLOR SAFE bleach and detergent.
- Darks – Wash same as lights, but in their own separate load.
- Jeans – Same as darks, but in their own separate load.
- Towels – ALWAYS wash towels ONLY with other towels and wash cloths, but treat them the same way you would jeans.
It seems kind of like you’re multiplying your work on the front end, but I promise it’ll save your clothes once you work out a system and stick to it.